Monday, December 26, 2011

Relying on Him

"We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it.  In fact, we expected to die.  But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely on God, who raises the dead." 2 Corinthians 1:8-9

     People may tell you (maybe I have even told you before!) that He will never give you more than you can handle.  But don't listen anymore; it's not true.  You will often find yourself in situations that require more faith, more perseverance, more love, and more wisdom than you have on your own.  And when you find yourself in this situation you will realize how much you need Him.  In fact, you'll be desperate for Him.  The truth is, you were just as desperate for Him before you found yourself in this place; you just didn't realize it.  Sometimes you need to be shaken so that you see your sin and become more God- reliant.
     It is not a sign of weakness to depend on Him.  It is a sign of spiritual strength to live, day by day, in recognition of your utter dependence on Him.
     Therefore, I am sorry.  I am sorry to any of my friends and family that I have specifically told you how "He will never give more than you can handle."  I had it all wrong.  He wants you to challenge yourself, challenge yourself to bring more things to HIM to handle.  It's not our jobs, we have it all wrong friends.  Just like James 1:2-4 says, He sees us to trials to draw out perseverance in all of us.  I am finally able to fully grasp what that means.  I've gone along the past couple months repeating how that verse is my favorite, without me even entirely fathoming the true meaning behind those couple verses.  I challenge us all to bring more things to Him, to be fully dependent on Him in faith.

Father, while I and the culture around me, value independence, I realize now that you value dependence.  Forgive me, Lord, for my stubborn self- reliance.  I'm turning to you.  I can't do it on my own anymore.  I can't mend relationships, I can't ignore my sinful ways, I can't please everyone, I can't always have a loving a gracious attitude towards people, so God, I bring it to You.  I trust in You to take this from me.  Thank you for Your grace God.  Thank you for Your faithfulness.  You are so worthy God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment